What is the mnemonic/seed phrase, why is it so important, and how should it be kept?
Last updated August 30, 2021
Emeris & Keplr Team will never contact you asking for your seed/mnemonic phrase.
Note: If you created a Keplr account using Google Login, the mnemonic will not be shown. As long as you log in from the same Google account, the same account will be created. However, you may view your private key if you'd like to still manage your own private key
Mnemonic phrase, mnemonic seed, or seed phrase are defined as a secret group of words that represent a wallet. When used in sequence they allow access to the cryptocurrencies stored within. When creating a new account on Keplr (unless you are using Keplr+Ledger) a mnemonic phrase will be created.
This set of words is the only way you have to recover access to your wallet in case for any reason you lose access to the device where you installed Keplr or forget your password. There is no other way to recover an account than by using the mnemonic phrase, so remember to write it down on paper and store it in a safe place. Some tips to keep your mnemonic safe:
- Download your extension here
- DO NOT share your seed phrase with anyone
- DO NOT share screenshots of the seed phrase
- Before linking Keplr with an external site, always pay attention that the webpage is the original webpage operated by a reputable source. Verify that the details of the transaction you're signing matches the transaction that was shown on the webpage.
- Support from the Keplr team is provided only inside https://t.me/keplrwallet
- If you suspect that your wallet is compromised, contact us ASAP